Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Big Day

Tomorrow is the big day. Back to school. The students won't actually start until August 19, but teachers have to be there bright and early tomorrow morning. We are having a breakfast and going through the school handbook. What fun! Hopefully, the food will at least be good. I went to the school again this morning to do some more work and get some more points. I was able to get a good bit of stuff laminated, but I can't hang it up until Monday because of the new paint. I have made a list of things I need to buy and will probably do my shopping over the weekend. I guess I can say goodbye to my afternoon naps and lounging around in my pajamas. I am excited about the new year, but I really wish I had been able to enjoy my summer more.
I found out today from another teacher how maternity leave works. I will not receive pay while I am out, and my pay for the rest of the school year will be pro-rated. Wow. That is a total bummer. We will have to take that into account while working the cost of daycare into the budget. Looks like Baby Roberts will only be getting the basic essentials. I also found out that the time I am off will be docked from my teaching certificate. For example, if you have worked three years but were out two months for maternity leave, then your certificate will say you have worked 2 years and 10 months. I think the school system is being a little unfair. I was expecting not to get paid while I'm out, but I think the other stipulations are a little ridiculous. They should really let you know all of this stuff when you first start teaching. That way, you can start saving for all of the money you will be losing while you're out. Oh well. I guess I will know next time. It may be quite a while before we have another baby. I don't know if our bank account can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment